Blogoversary: The year that was

8:22 PM


While it is true that owning a blog has its own perks (either in cash or in-kind), it should never be the end goal for one's blogging. Note: This entry is not meant to tackle this issue on a deeper level. It is a statement that I just wanted to put out there as part of reflecting over the past year of Style and Soul in the blogging community.

When I decided to put up this blog, all I ever thought of was writing online entries about topics that are close to my heart while injecting my interest in dressing up. I then didn't know anything about fashion and my personal style relied heavily on what my instinct would say. My outfit posts were most of the time accompanied by personal thoughts about the world, life, including my opinions on politics and society.

dress: SOLD (see more SHOP VINTAGE items here)

Looking back, there's a part of me that misses the small[er] following I used to have. It gave me all the freedom to blog about my feelings and my personal experiences without thinking if my barkada or siblings would be laughing if they get to read it. Now that my family and some of my friends have discovered it, the feeling is like (a movie scene) owning a secret diary and your kuya and ate would sneak it out of your hiding place, browse through it and tease you based on what the heck you had written.

Back then, my aim is to pass on the inspiration Denise gave me when I was at a point in my life that I needed it the most. My invisible conversations were directed to regular girls - not socialites, not from the upper classes, not from the fashion industry. It's that middle class girl who dresses up simply because she wants to but couldn't afford expensive/branded/designer items and yet, resourceful enough to make a statement through her personal style by using what is accessible - bazaar finds, thrift treasures, tiangge items, affordable online shop purchases, hand-me-downs, marked-down sale products and basically anything cheap.

red chunky heels P1,050/ $27 available at F-STOP (Asian Fashion section here)

Post after post, more followers were added and my readers became diverse. Soon enough, opportunities came along. Invites and offers fell right on to my lap and as early as now (for less than a year), I realized that there's a part of blogging that has become such a chore because anything and everything that I accept will always have a certain string attached to it. I'm leaving it at that.

Rather than complaining whether there's too much or too less of opportunities I am getting, I gladly choose to be very thankful and appreciative for all the favorable conditions this blog has brought me. I just savor the blessings and share them as much as I can. The whole experience is something I never really expected that's why I'm always overwhelmed. More than the material blessings, what I'm most grateful for is meeting accomplished people who serve as new inspirations and blogger friends that turned out to be more than mere acquaintances.

Sure, in the past year, I've had more exposure to brands, trends and social gatherings. My love for fashion grew deeper and it made my life colorful and fun. But at the end of the day, I still believe they are superficial, they bring temporary happiness and that there are a lot of other things in life that are more significant. And despite all the blessings I'm still sticking to what I came out to do which is to keep on paying it forward and serve as an inspiration in my own little way.

Black and white blazer STILL AVAILABLE for only P380! Order here :)

Owl connector ring STILL AVAILABLE! Order here :)

The last thing I want to do is preach but there's something I want to say to those who just recently started their blogs. I know how you admire some of the country's top and most influential online personalities. Like you, I look up to a lot of young online stars/achievers out there. If you want to get into blogging because it's something that you really want to do, go for it. Never underestimate yourself because anyone has what it takes. However, if you're just here for an easier access to fame and prizes, readers are smart enough to know your true intentions and you won't get the support and following you deserve. It's better to have a few but loyal pack of supporters who appreciate your genuine self and if things are meant to be, everything else (that's good or even great) will follow through.

P.S. My blog giveaway is on April 18, 2011! I can't wait to give you guys some love! :)

STYLE AND SOUL ON LOOKBOOK | CHICTOPIA | LIKE STYLE AND SOUL FB PAGE
FOLLOW TUMBLR | FOLLOW TWITTER | SHOP F-STOP | F-STOP ON FACEBOOK






You Might Also Like

30 comments

  1. Happy anniversary!! :D Owl ring + Red pumps = LURRRRVE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Bea: Thanks for the greeting dear :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. happy blogoversary!
    awesome insights,
    there really is wisdom in age, even in our blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. very well said melai!:)

    i'm loving those shoes!

    happy anniversary to your lovely blog. :)

    http://dredreveries.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. hello! happy anniversary! =) print on print, check! =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. HAPPY BLOGVERSARY!!!:) Grabe, I so can't wait for more entries and more blogging!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. So jealous of your shoes Melai! Too bad I can't wear red yet! :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats and Happy Anniversary! :) Much love to FSTOP and Style and Soul :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. melai!!! i super love your entry!!! very well said!!! :) at the end of the day, it's the substance that gets people coming back.. i also love what you said about the readers being smart enough to know your intentions, true true! advance happy anniversary! wow, 1 year! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. one year na since you emailed me? wow that was sooooo fast.

    melaibeyb, your email made me happy and kept me blogging when days are not good to me. i love your letter. one to stay forever in my heart.

    happy bday style and soul. ambonga mo!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Birthday, Style and Soul! Sana mas marami pang taon para sa blog mo dahil ang galing mo magsulat super! Bihira lang yung bloggers na kagaya mo. :) And ang ganda mo sa pictures, Melai! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. HAPPY BLOG ANNIVERSARY!! :D I loooove your owl ring! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. hello guys! thanks for all the blog birthday greetings and kurot-sa-puso comments :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. it may sound funny coming from a superhero flick but the line 'power comes with great responsibility' may be aptly applied in this case. at times when blogging seems like a chore...think of it as a privilege to be able to speak and be listened to...to have a voice and to be able to directly or indirectly shape other opinions as well...not all are able to get to where you are now so by doing this...you also serve as direct or indirect inspiration to many :)

    keep it up melai :) just have fun. don't stress yourself too much. life is short! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice look! Happy Blogoversary!

    http://initialed.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. awww very well said melai :) happy blogoversary :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. agree agreee!! the post says it all! :) happy blogversary!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy anniversary to your blog! You're so stylish. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. beautiful outfit and happy anniversary! ;p

    ReplyDelete
  20. Melai! Happy anniversary to your blog! :D Wish I have known you and this blogging world earlier. I still have much to learn. Cheers!

    ♥ Erika
    http://shesidainty.tumblr.com
    http://www.shopdainty.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Happy anniversary to your blogsite! Keep up the good work! Namulat ako sa mga blogs mo. I tend to be more conservative in most things lalo na sa fashion.Maybe my career had to do with it, but with your blogs and ideas, i said, teaching shouldn't be boring and what i wear/how i look affects my class as well right? thanks for spicing up my fashion!

    so here's to more blogs, more new finds and more power to you! Cheers my little sis!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Aww such a nice read! I pretty much share the same sentiments. Although I believe that people should get into fashion blogging "for the right reasons", I think those reasons still differ from person to person. Kaya, sa totoo lang, to each his own talaga. (:

    Happy Blogiversary Melai! I'm so glad to have known you through this community (kunyari wala ang RPN, haha). More power to Style and Soul! (:

    ReplyDelete
  23. happy anniversary melai! <3

    wow, it's really been a year huh? as i've been visiting your blog since you started, i can truly say that you and your personal style have really grown..for the better. <3 i'm so proud of being able to know you Melai..and i hope i can meet you one day! maybe, on a whim, i'll book a ticket to Manila if there's a seat sale..hehehe.

    continue rockin'! you're an inspiration!

    ♥ vanilla ice cream ♥
    www.shopyapi.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. Happy Blogversary! Great outfit! :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Melai! Happy anniversary to your blog! =)

    ReplyDelete
  26. wohoo, can't wait for your next giveaway :D please make it for international readers. teehee. i love your red pumps, gorgeous! i wish i could buy some stuffs from your onlineshop, but seems you don't shipping internationally.. anyway, happy birthday to your blog :)

    xoxo, bee
    missingbee

    ReplyDelete
  27. happy blogsary! I really loved what you wrote! I can totally understand the conflict when blogging can no longer be sharing something too personal yet must stick to being true to self. keep it up melai really enjoy reading your blog and on a much lighter note shopping on your sight! =))

    ReplyDelete
  28. like i said before on chictopia, i loveee those heels! and i love your blog, im following :)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate anything you have to say. Thanks for dropping by. It means so much to me. Love, Melai

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images